Saturday, July 18, 2009

Seriously?

So, most of you know that we are heading out tomorrow for a week at a cottage that we have rented. Along with our family (me, hubby, 3 kids and the cat) we are taking 3 extra kids as well. That is 6 teenagers.............can you imagine the groceries?

Today we headed out to the grocery store, and I took all 6 kids with me. I wanted to be sure that everyone had stuff that they liked. Everyone did really well, but we needed 3 carts to carry everything (we could have fit it in 2 carts, but 3 was easier).

Over dinner I was telling my hubby how long the receipt was. Matt volunteered to take a photo of it because it was as tall as me!

Yes, you are reading that total correctly! I am sure that we bought way too much food and the next couple of shops once we return will be very light.

I was a little ticked when I was checking out. I have the reusable grocery bags, but not enough for all the extra things we purchased. Zehrs still charged me for 12 plastic bags, even after I spent that amount on groceries. I would have waived the fee for the bags......wouldn't you?

9 comments:

  1. Wow! If nothing else, you will all certainly eat well on your holiday! Have a wonderful and safe time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is AWESOME...I hear ya on the hollow legs of teenagers, I have no idea where my son puts it all

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word friend...we had talked about that grocery bill, and we both knew it wouldnt be small, but thats huge for one week, and i bet you will be running out for things because you will run out...wishing you and your family....a wonderful holiday filled with fun, with love and memories..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I think you made a mistake in the post... you said "to the cottage for a week"?? Clearly you meant a month with that load of groceries! tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel your pain.... as parents and foster parents we usually have 5 kids, all but one are teens...our grocery bills are astronomical! enjoy your trip and rest up for cha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. heheh thats awesome! Maybe you'll be surprised and come home with less food then you think 3 extra kids and I am guessing 2 are extra boys:) Have a great HOLIDAY!! I hope you have great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Carolyn that is just the funniest thing I have ever seen! Thanks for posting that. Lots of people just have no idea what it takes to go away for a week. You are a brave soul for taking the extra kids with you. Hope you have a great trip. You'll have to take a photo of everything that comes home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow that's a lot of food! Teenagers (especially boys) do seem to just inhale food, eh? Hope you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HILARIOUS!!!! Hope you are having a GREAT time away!!

    ReplyDelete