Thursday, May 27, 2010

Entertainment.......

Things are never dull around our house. Most of you know that I have 3 children and they are all teenagers now. I know many people dread these years, but I am just loving them. It is so cool to watch them develop and mature into little adults. This often involves their sense of humor as well. I just wanted to share a couple of stories with you.

Matt is 13 and he has always been the quietest of our 3 children. Lately I have noticed he is really coming out of his shell. He comes out with some of the funniest things. I am not sure that when I type these things out they will seem as funny as they are in person, but I am going to give it a try!

This is a frequent look that we see with Matt now........not so innocent, eh?

This morning I came downstairs to find him eating his breakfast. I noticed that we had not put the cover on the pool and made this comment...'Oh, I guess we forgot to put the cover on the pool last night'. His very quick response was .......'well mom, on the upside, we don't have to take it off today'. What a great way to start my day :)

Yesterday, there was a conversation about the show 'The Biggest Loser'. Matt jumped in and wondered why someone would want to go on a show where the winner is given the title of being a loser. Amanda and I explained to him that 'loser' meant they had lost the most weight. He then responded 'well I was wondering why all the people on the show were always getting their weight checked......it didn't make any sense'. Amanda and I could hardly stand it.......it was so darn funny!

Jason, our middle child is often the source of laughter in our household. He is very witty and speaks before he thinks (I think he gets that from me). He has recently entered the work force and actually has 2 jobs. He works part-time at the Galaxy and also part-time at Conestoga Golf Course. Last night he had to work at the golf course and it was men's night. It was very busy, plus they are having a tournament there today and they had extra stuff to do to get ready for that. Jason was not fond of 2 of the kids that he had to work with. I won't go into all the details, but he said that one of the kids was obsessed with driving around the golf carts. He would always take the long way so he could drive more, and at one point there were no carts to drive, so he hopped into the cart that Jay was driving and said he would come along for the ride. Jay said he looked at him and said 'ummm, no. That is just weird'. The kid hopped out and Jay drove away shaking his head. As Jason was heading up to bed, he said.....'mom, those guys are not even here and they are still making me mad'. I just laughed at him as he shook his head and went up the stairs.

When Jay got home from work last night he had to finish up a project that was due today. In my opinion he left things go a bit too long, but he assures me that he works best under pressure. He had to make a cookbook for the foods course he is taking (the only reason he is in this class is because the only other option was Spanish, and he wasn't taking that).

He thought that he needed to make a cover for this cookbook and the Cricut was the perfect tool for the job. He pulled out the machine and got to work. His brother helped him pick the colours for the apron (didn't want anything too feminine). I was a bit skeptical, but it did turn out nice.


The funniest thing about the title of his cookbook is that he would only eat 2 or 3 of the 20 plus recipes that are in there.

The little pockets on the apron are so cute (this photo loaded sideways, and I don't feel like fixing it, so tilt your head to the right).

He came up with the idea to use the pockets as little tabs to divide each section (pretty clever, eh).

He wanted to attach everything with 'those special rings that we use at the store'. It did turn out pretty good. He thinks he is going to 'rock this project' and come home with an 'A'.

He asked me what I would do if he got an 'A'. The answer he was looking for was for me to offer to take him, and his buddy David, to McDonald's to celebrate. I told him if he got an 'A' I would definitely consider it.

This is only a small fraction of the entertainment that my amazing kids provide me every day! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about your kids. People always said the teens would be rough but I love them. I love the chats we have, the stories I get to hear and I am just so proud of my girls. I think it is because we are available for our kids to talk to. If you just listen and work on issues together there really is no need to fight and argue. You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, love the stories. Yes, kids are a constant source of entertainment around here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often thought how boring my life would be without our two boys to keep us entertained! I can relate to your funny stories - the witty responses our kids come out with, the fun way they look at life. Yes, I enjoy the teen years also! Thanks for sharing:)
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete