Thursday, September 9, 2010

Finally......a layout!

I have been such a bad blogger/scrapbooker over the summer. I don't have any excuses except that I have just been busy with other things. The store always takes up a bunch of my time, my kids keep me very busy, 2 weeks away with my family for holidays, CHA Summer in Chicago, and enjoying the summer weather. I also discovered reading and I am already on my 4th book.

Last weekend I had the itch to do a layout, but to be honest I was not up to creating something on my own. I hopped on the computer and checked out some of my favourite blogs, looking for a layout to copy! My photo stash is dwindling, so I didn't have many to choose from. I found a photo of Jason and a layout with paper scraps that matched perfectly.

Here is the layout that I finished 2 days later. This layout was created by Julie Bonner. You can check out her blog here. I thank her for the inspiration.

Now, I am sure you are wondering how it could take me 2 days to finish a single-page, single-photo layout............that I copied!!!!!! I am not sure either. When I start to scrapbook, I get lost in a mountain of paper, embellishments, photos and adhesives. I think I go on a mental holiday. All I can say is that I love the finished page and I enjoyed looking at this photo of my son and reliving that summer day in 2009!

I loved this little cluster by the photo. The quote was from one of the 'cards' sheets that Fancy Pants always includes with their collections. The sun and surfboards are from the rub-on sheet.

I wanted to give the rub-ons some dimension, rather than just rubbing them on to my page. I had a sheet of transparency.........like this (click here), so I rubbed the design on the transparency first and then cut it out. Then I used my foam adhesive to pop them up.

Julie had done some detailing with a pen on her squares, but I thought that my page wouldn't be complete unless there was some stitching on it. I stitched all 8 squares with brown floss (maybe that is why it took me 2 days).

Here is a close up of the sun element (also a rub-on). I think I will be using the transparencies more often. I really like the dimension that it allows you to create.

I am currently working on another layout......this time a double-page. I only have one evening into it, so it may be a few days before it is ready to post. This one is my own creation from a sketch. It feels so good to have my hands back into my scrapbooking supplies again.


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I totally love all the details to it! Trust me... I understand about the 2 days... you should ask me sometime how long it takes me... I am a really slow scrapbooker... I enjoy and savour the moments of stuff in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Carolyn. I also have not 'scrapped' for 3 months....only cards, so I'm just hunting down sketches to get the mojo going. Oh, and it always takes me 3 to 4 days to complete a layout.....perfectionist you see (lol). So worth it in the end though, as your page confirms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout! I love the transparency idea!

    Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the details and finishing touches. Sometimes great things take time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a scraplift in my future1 This is awesome! On a side note, love that you've added a photo of your 4th child!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love all the details and I love the idea of putting rub-ons onto transparency! Fabulous!!!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete